Mar 10, 2012

Bored...

  We hear it all the time, especially from children.. "I'm bored"    Now we hear it all the time from adults "I'm bored".  We live in an ultra-stimulated world.  Sights and sounds constantly bombard our senses.  Too many things to do saps our strength day and night.  Movies that were cutting edge and exciting in the 50's are boring to todays generation.
   Bigger screens, high-def, surround sound, social networking, cell phones, text messaging... always having to do something.  10 places to be, 5 parties to go to this week, sometimes we wish we could clone ourselves just to get everything "done".
   When that stimuli is suddenly taken away, or we drive through an area with no phone service.. suddenly we have "nothing to do".

  I visited a home in the middle of an ice storm and the entire family was freaking out, they were literally pacing the floor, kids screaming, the Dad told me they were bored out of their minds because they lost power and had been almost 24 hours without TV, video games or internet!  It can even get to the point that during the distractions with a million things going on, we can get bored.
   Constant distractions keep us from spending time with God, it keeps people who don't know God from thinking about eternity.  It teaches us to always "do something" rather than to simply sit in His presence.  


   It is my personal opinion that it is impossible for a true follower of Jesus to ever be truly "bored"



   Yes I may fall into that trap for a few seconds until I shake myself and think...


  I am a child of God!  A servant of the King of the universe!  I'm here to fulfill His will!  I am bought and paid for!  My life is not my own!  I'm here to bless others!  One of my jobs is to bring peace into my house!  The list goes on and on!

  Here's a simple test.  Go, sit down without your Bible, journal or computer, set a timer for 10 minutes, let your mind be at rest, let Scriptures flow through your thoughts and see if in those 10 minutes you can rest in Him or if your minds wanders in 50 directions or you check the timer 50 times... yes..we all need more practice waiting on Him.



   Resting...  -Scott


PS.. No, I did not say to do a phone and facebook fast..

Wait on the Lord; Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart; Wait, I say, on the Lord!    Ps 27:14

www.thesowerinc.org
 

No comments:

Post a Comment